Hey again! We’re here with the second weekly article, where I share how a summer working in a skimpark looks like. Today I’ll be explaining how we do clean the skimpool, how our first workshop went and what’s the latest creation of VooDoo Skimboard, let’s go!
Day 6 to Day 7 – 14/07/2016 to 15/07/2016
The weather in La Coruña is characterized by being very cloudy and rainy, but that wasn’t the weather I was facing. Specially those two days, it was really sunny and we were around 35 ºC, something really strange in the city. As a result, almost nobody showed up in the skimpark, people were at the beach or shopping inside the shopping center, there wasn’t a soul outside. Only around 10 kids came to try and skim, so my friend Rodrigo and I had a lot of time to skim and record some nice videos.
On Thursday, it was time to work in the morning too (we work all afternoons from Monday to Saturday and Saturday mornings) because we must clean the skimpool once a week. The skimpool is relatively easy to clean, but it takes its time. We proceed as it follows:
– First of all, after we close the skimpark in the evening, it’s time to let the water flow out of the skimpool. Meanwhile, we clean a little bit the skimpool with a big brush.
– After there’s just 2-3 cm of water height remaining, we close the two drains of the skimpool and we proceed to add active oxygen in the remaining water so the water left gets completely cleaned and the possible germs of the skimpool get eliminated.
– We leave the active oxygen working all night long until the next morning.
– In the morning it’s very important to completely dry the skimpool so all the dirt and remaining active oxygen go out. In order to do so, we put a bench or something of the width of the skimpool under it, so we can accumulate all the water in one side.
– After that, it’s time to close both drains, connect the hose and let the new fresh water flow inside the skimpool.
– The skimpool should be completely cleaned once a week. What we do every day is, half an hour before the skimpark opening, we open one drain and connect the hose, so we can create a water flow and refresh a little bit the water in the skimpool, so it remains cleaner the whole week.
Here you have all the tips and tricks we use to properly maintain a skimpool, wish you can learn something from them!
Day 8 – 16/07/2016
It was Saturday, so it meant we must work in the morning and afternoon. The weather was the same as the previous days, so again, not many people showed up. But it was time to set up the first weekly workshop: two pro-skaters who work in a local skate school came to teach the first steps in the world of skating for those who wanted to learn the first steps in the world of the four wheels. The workshop was organized just two days before, so not many people were aware of the skating event, even though 7 newcomers tried and learnt their first steps.
Day 9 – 17/07/2016
Sunday is the weekly lay day. I spent all morning laying on the bed, transferring photos and videos from the GoPro to the computer and watching TV. After having lunch, the guy who lives with me and I went for a walk in the center of La Coruña, where he showed me the most iconic places out there. I will go again there with my longboard in order to explore some more places, but for now I fell in love with the road next to the sea, it was really enjoyable!
And here we go with the invention. It’s a winch with remote control with enough power to let you go through a kicker and a box, it’s really amazing the speed you can go with this new device that Horacio Mayol, the VooDoo Skimboard owner, and an electrical engineer, have realized!
Day 10 to Day 11 – 18/07/2016 to 19/07/2016
Another week in the north-west of Spain started. The weather was following the trend of the previous days, but the heat was going down so more people showed up. Nothing really special happened those two days, so I’m going to show you a photo of our amazing working T-shirts and the latest invention VooDoo Skimboard has launched.
I hope you enjoyed the article as much as I’ve enjoyed writing it!
Skim & Fun
Marc Costa Lucero
Learn more about the VooDoo SkimPark here: www.voodooskim.com